Higher Education Week: Fifteen Things I Learned in College
That ol' black magic doesn't fly with airline "To resign because of this, I don't think so." Immigration protests is to nuclear attack as...
- Less than 2% of sheltered high school relationships will last beyond the first three months of college, simply because each partner is suddenly bombarded by hot people all around. It's like getting promoted to Best Buy after shopping in Radio Shack all your life.
- There is no greater concentration of loose women in the world than on a college campus.
- Going 73 on I-81 will get cops on your ass. Going 69 is acceptable. There will be a possibility of a speed trap every third crossover, or after each overpass.
- The professors with tenure are the ones you will learn the least from.
- You can identify freshman music education majors because they will complain during Music Theory about how they don't need any of that garbage to be a band director.
- If you have even a whit of musicality, you can practice your instrument for an hour a day and be better than that guy who sucks but thinks he's good and stays in the practice room all day long. The person you notice the most in the vicinity of the practice rooms is most likely the worst musician in the progam. The guy who slips out of the practice rooms under the cover of darkness and is never seen or heard except during concerts is probably a musical genius.
- Sopranos are more unstable than altos. Tenors are more neurotic than basses. Flutists are more neurotic than clarinetists, but there are more good flute players than clarinetists.
- 80% of music performance majors do not belong anywhere near a microphone, but they will all get their degrees. 5% of freshman Computer Science majors will be girls. This will drop to near 0 by senior year, because they will tire of being followed around campus and cyberstalked by 95% of their fellow majors. 95% of business majors are hambones, and 99% of those will be in a fraternity.
- There will be at least
one eight obnoxious, pedantic geeks in any Computer Science class you take. They are only there as training for when you enter the real world and have to deal with them daily.
- Everyone will notice when you fan your pot out the window, even if you think you are being sneaky by disposing of the evidence with incense.
- A fun game to do in lecture classes is to put your head down and take notes until you fall asleep. Later, you can try to decipher the tail end of the notes, or convert them into hieroglyphics.
- You will never get a parking spot right next to your class. You will pay twice as much as you should for your parking permit and will risk towing at least five times in your academic career.
- You'd think that the townhouse party would be less crowded and annoying than the apartment party, but this is never true.
- The guy with the loudest music on your hall or in your complex will also be the guy with the worst musical taste.
- If you wrap the fire alarm in your dorm room with clear Scotch tape, it will reduce the volume of the alarm by 80%, and no inspectors will realize that you are violating the Fire Code. If you have a loft-bed, you can avoid fire drills and hall-sweeping RAs by rolling onto the slat between the mattress and the wall and pulling the covers back so it looks like you left the room.
You are currently viewing a single post from the annals of URI! Zone history.
The entire URI! Zone is © 1996 - 2023 by Brian Uri!. Please see the About page for further information.
Jump to Top
Jump to the Front Page