List Day: Five Habits of the Past
- As a kid, I often read books on the stairs while standing on my head. I would generally start out at the top of the stairs with the book hanging over the edge, and then gravity would abuse me until my head was on the third step upside-down. The books were oriented normally with my head, so I didn't actually read them upside-down.
- When I was in seventh grade, I would run between all my classes, because it was fun to run. For all the bell-schedule-themed years that followed, my route between classes would be a complex circuit based upon the location of all the cute girls' lockers and classrooms. One year I actually went from a classroom in the basement, up to the second floor, and back down to the basement, just to say hello to the crush-of-the-year.
- Our Crew boathouse was next to an inlet with a small island of broken concrete accessible only at low tide -- apparently some misguided naturalist's attempt at creating a breakwater. Because the rowers from the middle-class junior high school arrived an hour before the upper-class junior high, we had extra time which was supposed to be devoted to "homework" (a French term for throwing rocks at all the glass bottles washed up in the sludge). Every afternoon when the tides cooperated, I would take a book out to this island and read in solitude. Once I stayed too long and had to wade back.
- In high school, I shaved my face using hand soap. Because the Asian race is essentially hairless in the facial area, I didn't see the point in buying a whole can of shaving cream. In college, I shaved so rarely that I was able to stretch one of those "Welcome to the Dorm" sampler cans of shaving cream for the entire year. In fact, I still have a sampler bottle of aftershave from year three that's half full.
- When I took summer classes at NOVA, I once had two evening classes with an hour break in the middle. Every Tuesday evening, I would go to the nearby McDonald's for a dinner plate of Chicken McNuggets and fries. I have not had McDonald's since April 5th of this year -- I seem to end up at Chick-fila or Popeyes more often.
Share some of your own habits in the Comments section! The Life of a Chinese Gold Farmer Honey, the baby's spacewalking A tall frosty glass of pizza
You are currently viewing a single post from the annals of URI! Zone history.
The entire URI! Zone is © 1996 - 2022 by Brian Uri!. Please see the About page for further information.
Jump to Top
Jump to the Front Page